As Congress nears an agreement on the Build Back Better Act, we are running out of time to ensure that critical funds for child nutrition are included in the final package. With 13 million children in the U.S. experiencing hunger — including 1 in 5 Maine children — we must convince legislators to make critical investments that close the summer meals gap, strengthen school meals, and ensure struggling families have resources for essential needs. The window is closing; please contact your legislators today and tell them to prioritize ending child hunger by including these crucial measures in the Build Back Better legislation:
- Summer EBT: Summer is the hungriest time of year and it’s critical the Build Back Better Act addresses this huge gap in nutrition by extending the Summer EBT program nationwide.
- School Meals: Nine million more children could have access to free school meals by extending the Community Eligibility Provision.
- Child Tax Credit: This tax credit could cut child poverty by more than 40%. Congress must extend the program to ensure 27 million kids won’t lose out on receiving the full benefit.
How to take action:
- Call your member of Congress. Click here for a quick script and to be connected.
- Email your members of Congress. Click here for a template.
- Share this message with your network and on your social media channels!
Thank you for using your voice to end child hunger!