The mission of Preble Street is to provide accessible barrier-free services to empower people experiencing problems with homelessness, housing, hunger, and poverty and to advocate for solutions to these problems.
From a nutritious meal to crisis intervention, from clean clothes to healthcare, from showers to a permanent home, Preble Street programs not only meet urgent needs but also create solutions to homelessness and hunger.
THE PEOPLE WE SERVE
The people we meet come from every background. Some were born into abject poverty and abuse. Others were born into a loving and stable family, but life’s circumstances dictated an unanticipated course. Some are temporarily homeless because of a sudden crisis. Others have been homeless for years. As varied as their lives and needs are, so are the programs and services that
Preble Street offers.
We are continuously adapting our services to meet the needs of the community. On any given day staff may be:
- Providing case management to a human trafficking survivor
- Feeding a hungry family
- Finding shelter for a teen or adult experiencing homelessness
- Helping a young person resume her education
- Providing employment counseling for a veteran ready to work but unable to find a job
- Welcoming a person to their first home.
At Preble Street the pioneering activism and humanitarian spirit behind Joe Kreisler’s vision continues to turn hunger and homelessness into opportunity and hope.