PORTLAND (WGME) — The Maine State Fire Marshals Office has identified the homeless man killed in a fire late Saturday night as 53-year-old Brian Barbour.
Investigators believe a candle in Barbour’s tent along West Commercial Street started the fire. An autopsy shows Barbour died from smoke inhalation.
The fire started around 11:30 Saturday night. A passerby saw smoke and called 911. Firefighters put out the flames quickly, and then discovered Barbour’s body.
His last known address is on India Street in Portland.